At FOR THE LOW, we provide the highest quality of refurbished vintage electronics on the planet. Today, we are going to provide you with some great fun facts about one of our best selling products, The VCR.
- The VHS tape was invented by JVC in the early 1970s in Japan.
- The VHS was invented in 1976.
- VCR stands for Video Cassette Recorder
- The first movie released on VHS was The Young Teacher, a South Korean drama about a teacher who organizes a volleyball game at her school to boost self-confidence and school spirit in her students.
- VHS stands for Video Home System
- The best selling movie sold on VHS was The Lion King in 1995. 32 million copies were sold, generating 520 million in revenue.
- Most VCRs have 4 heads, but you can get them with 2 or 6 heads as well.
- The VHS tape is 1,410 feet long.
- Many people still record television shows onto VHS.
- The last movie released on VHS was A History of Violence.
- The world's last VCR was made in June 2016 by Japan's Funai Electric, the last company that produced these devices.
- The VCR was sold for $1000-$1400 in 1975 when they were first introduced.
- DVHS tapes are high definition VHS tapes that play at 1080i resolution! That is higher quality than many VHS tapes.
- June 7 is now National VCR day! Americans missed the format enough to devote an entire day to celebrate the home video devices. There are lots of ways to celebrate the VCR and VHS technologies - one interesting organization called the Found Footage Festival devotes its time to searching for bizarre, unique, and amazing old VHS tapes found in second-hand stores and garage sales, and then displays them to live audiences around the country! What a quirky, fun way to celebrate!
Give us a call or click here to buy a VCR. 4802071511